Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Healthy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

So healthy is used loosely here... just go with it.


As I've admitted in this blog many times, I'm a sugar addict. I'm usually only content with oatmeal cookies of any kind if they're loaded with chocolate chips and other sugary delights. These cookies were baked for my father, who has an odd affinity for oatmeal raisin cookies sans chocolate chips. I must say, however, that I enjoyed these more than I thought I would. The cookies were plump and chewy, with deliciously crispy edges. And, since the recipe calls for whole wheat flour along with regular flour, these are practically dietetic.


Healthy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
(makes around 14 medium-sized cookies)
Ingredients:
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/3 c. butter, melted (around 5 1/3 tbsp)
2/3 c. packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours and baking powder. Set aside.

In a larger bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture, and stir just to combine. Mix in the oats and raisins.

Spoon dough onto baking sheet and bake for 15 to 17 minutes, rotating halfway through. Cookies are done when they look crisp around the edges and golden brown and puffy in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment