Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Chubby Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ah, alliteration.


But really, look at them. They're totally chubby, and I will tell you from having eaten almost all of them at an astounding rate that they are indeed chewy. These cookies were the product of an impromptu sugar craving that swedish fish and sugar-free hot chocolate would not squelch (as a side note, those are not my go-to sugary snacks, they were just the only things to be had in my food-scarce apartment). Sometimes, nothing but fresh baked goods will suffice.


But seeing as I had no butter or white sugar on hand, these cookies stray a bit from the usual. I expected them to be totally flattened out and lackluster without the butter, but I was happily surprised. These cookies are puffy and light, with a gooey chocolatey center. Are they perfect? Definitely not (I'd prefer a crispy, buttery cookie any day). But if you're stuck in a butter-less predicament like I was, these are a respectable rendition.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
(makes 18 large, or 24 regular sized cookies)
Ingredients:
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/5 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.

Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl, set aside.

In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and oil, mixing well until no clumps remain. Add eggs, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Slowly incorporate dry ingredients, making sure not to over mix. Fold in chocolate chips (I used a mix of semi-sweet mini chips and regular sized chips, though next time I might use chocolate chunks or discs).

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown and puffed. Transfer to wire rack and allow to cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment