Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Cherry Chocolate Chip Biscotti


I guess you could call these biscotti. Except they're not rock hard and dry like biscotti usually are. These are more like a cookie in the shape of a biscotti. A biscookie, one might say. They're chewy and slightly sweet, perfect with a cup of coffee (or tea, or water, or just by themselves). So if break-your-teeth biscotti are your kind of thing, then these are not for you.


I was sent this recipe after I interviewed and wrote a story about a chef for my internship last semester (he's one of the executive chefs for Safeway!). My dad loves anything with cherries so I figured I'd try them out. The night before Thanksgiving I made a batch and left them on the cooling rack while I went out to dinner (my mistake; one should never leave hot-from-the-oven sweets unguarded). My father called me while I was out, asking how many biscotti he was allowed to eat. When I came home, there were three left.

(Sorry dad, but you seriously ate the whole batch.)

I made a double batch the next day for Thanksgiving dessert and they flew off the table. They're now my go-to for gifts, impromptu gatherings, afternoon snacks and anything in between.


Cherry Chocolate Chip Biscotti
(makes around 15 pieces)
Ingredients:
6 tbsp butter, softened
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2/3 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. dried cherries (sweet or sour)
1 c. chocolate chips (I used white for these)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet.

In a stand mixer (or a medium sized bowl), beat the butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, and baking powder until smooth. Add eggs and mix until just combined.

Lower the mixer speed and add the flour. Mix until smooth (but be careful not to over mix).

Add in cherries and chocolate chips. Mix until just combined, then turn out the dough onto the baking sheet and shape into a log (around 13 inches long, 3 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick).

Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.

Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F.

Slice the biscotti into 3/4 inch thick pieces. Do not lay each slice down on its side like traditional biscotti recipes, keep the whole log intact (this is what allows them to maintain their delicious chewy centers and not dry out).

Re-bake the biscotti another 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are just turning golden brown. Transfer individual slices to a rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment